Monday, 11 March 2013

Eczema

I've had eczema on and off ever since I was little, appearing mostly at times off stress or illness. It never appears behind my knees or elbows oh no, my body likes to humiliate me. It always appears on my face where everyone can see, bright red patches of pealing itchy dry skin, under my eyes and on my eyelids. Steroid cream will get rid of it for a while but it will be back. Whether that’s in 2 days or 2 months, it will be back. 

I was devastated when I first realised the monster also had eczema when she was a tiny baby, to begin with I just put a lot of moisturiser on and it would go away, but that stopped working, so off to the Dr we went. He gave some aqueous cream, and that worked for a few weeks, and then she was prescribed steroid cream. Again that only worked for a few months before we were back at the Dr. He advised we give her Piriton on the worse days as, he felt, she was reacting to something she was coming into contact with.

Taking Piriton works most nights along with her creams, she no longer routinely wakes in the night saying she’s scratchy or cries when I put a vest on her as it makes her skin bleed, But the eczema is still there and suddenly out of the blue it will explode all over her little body covering her head to foot and we're back at square 1. 

I've tried changing the washing powder, eliminated food from her diet, kept food and activity diaries and tried many different creams all without any effect. There’s just no pattern, no rhyme or reason, no common denominator I can see that’s making this happen. She’s had skin prick tests of all the most common allergens like house dust mite, milk and animal fur all without any reaction. What am I missing? What am I doing wrong?

I guess this is more of a plea than anything else. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of eczema? Any lightning bolt ideas as to what might be causing it? I'm at a complete loss and don’t know what to do next. It’s getting harder to explain to her why she is so scratchy  all the time. We tell her the creams and medicine will make her better and (quite rightly) she points out it’s not. 

My saving grace recently has been Dr Ranj. Get Well Soon did an episode on eczema recently, and as she loves Dr Ranj and singing along with him, she is very proud of her eczema, but that doesn’t solve the sleepless nights and the bleeding skin.

Any ideas will be gratefully received, at this stage I really will try anything to get rid!

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, or rather your daughters the poor little thing. My daughter suffers from Ezcema in all the normal places and has the occasional flare up, especially on her face. She is only five months so I can still manage to keep socks on her hands to stop her itching at night. We use Aveeno Moisturiser and Epadern creams/emolliants. The Aveeno has a bath emolliant you can use too. Someone said to me ones but some porridge oats into a tied up hanky and put it in their bath, this can reduce the itching. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any quick fixes and it is extremely hard to figure out what causes it. My husband has had it since birth and my mother in law said the best thing she could do as moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. Sorry I could not be of more help. Good luck!
    Jen
    http://www.mummyneedschocolate.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo uso much. Funnily enough, although I have tried various bath products I haven't tried the Aveeno bath emolliant stuff, odd because I used to use it myself when my eczema was bad as a child. Its the little things you don't think about!
      Thank you

      Delete
  2. Hi we also use aveeno and i am guilty of using a half to a whole bottle of oil in the bath at a time. But toms eczema was made worse by cows milk. so a change to soya milk worked for him. now he is older he is back to cows milk and with the aveeno lotion each night he does much better. just an occasional flare up now and then. good luck. it realy is trial and error until you have it under control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little boy suffered from eczema from birth and has sort of grown out of the worst of it now he's almost 4, but we used Balneum bath oil. It's soya based and left horrible mess on bath toys, but it did leave a light coating on his skin after baths that really helped

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...